Wednesday, November 17, 2010

National Prematurity Awareness Day

This is a picture of my tiny little niece, Avery, holding my pinkie finger. Avery was born two and a half weeks ago at 26 weeks gestation and weighed 1 lb. 8 oz. I met her last week for the first time :-)

I pray for her every day, usually several times a day. Her parents are riding the NICU roller coaster right now.

If you want to get an idea of what the NICU is all about, tune in to Discovery Health today. They are re-airing the docu-drama called NICU that originally aired this summer. This show follows real-life families of premature infants and the roller coaster of emotions that they encounter at some of the country's top NICUs. It shows the day-to-day care required to sustain the smallest of lives and how doctors and nurses work around the clock to ensure the survival of their tiny patients. ( This info. was taken directly from their website).

November 17 is dedicated to raising awareness for prematurity. I am participating in Bloggers Unite to promote awareness for prematurity by:

1. posting their badge on my blog ---see upper right hand corner. Below the bloggers unite badge is one I just created for Avery. You can post it to your blog too...the code is underneath.

2. asking you to visit this website AND

3. blogging about someone I love

I have been a neonatal nurse for over 15 years and now I am an aunt to a premature infant, so this is something that is near and dear to my heart. I have seen so many incredible advances in neonatal medicine and technology during my nursing career. I can only imagine what the future holds. Help promote awareness today. If you blog, add the badge to your blog. If you are on Facebook, join this group or this one. There are ways to support your local NICU such as knitting or crocheting premie/newborn caps or participating in Project Linus. Take some snacks or goodies to the parent/family lounge or waiting room of your local NICU. Volunteer to cook a meal at your local Ronald McDonald House. Make a donation to the March of Dimes. It is through funded research that the March of Dimes has saved the lives of thousands of babies from such things as the PKU test to Nitric Oxide to surfactant therapy (which my little niece received).
And last but not least, offer your prayers and support for the families of these precious little babies.



2 comments:

Grandma said...

It was rather ironic and freaky feeling last night when March of Dimes called our house and asked us to mail 15 letters. How did they know that we could not possibly say "no" at this point in time???

Grandmas don't like that roller coaster ride, either!

Catherine said...

Thank you Gina!