Monday, February 07, 2011

O Happy Day!

Our entire family is rejoicing today because we have the most wonderful news! AVERY IS HOME!!!! Avery is our niece who was born at 26 weeks gestation and weighed 1 lb., 8 oz. She has been in the NICU for 100 days! Overall, she had a really good NICU course, especially for her size and gestation. On Saturday, we got in one last visit at the hospital with her. She is such a big girl now! I loved holding her. She gave me lots of smiles. I'm sure it was probably gas, but it made me feel good anyway to see her smiling!

David got to visit too. He said she was wide awake for most of his visit. I'd say he looks like he's had a little experience holding little girls!


Avery has come a long way! In this picture she was just a few days old and her little hand barely covered the tip of my pinkie. She is now just three tenths of an ounce away from 5 lbs. Isnt' that amazing? Avery's story is not my story to tell. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to leave your little baby at the hospital for over 3 months and ride the NICU roller coaster. Of course, the neonatal nurse in me is VERY familiar with what Avery has been through. But what her parents have been through....NO WAY! Catherine has been so incredibly strong throughout this whole ordeal and I know it must feel surreal to her to actually be bringing Avery home.


You may remember when I blogged here and here about her. If you lifted her up in prayer even just one time, or checked in on her carepage to see her progress, I want to say THANK YOU! Avery had outstanding medical care but she also had lots and lots of prayers going up every day. Their journey certainly doesn't end now. And I would ask that you continue to keep Avery and her family in your prayers as they adjust to having her at home with her big sister, Caroline. Avery is so very blessed! In my nursing career I have seen many babies like her who were not as fortunate. I am so proud of Avery and have a very special place in my heart for her and only wish the very best for her and her family.


1 comment:

Grandma said...

We are all excited to have our baby home! I would love to be a fly on the wall--for a little while.